of West Virginia is a compelling success story in Huntington.
It has produced steel continuously since 1909 and has
provided employment for generations of local men and women.
facility originated in the early twentieth century, instituted
and operated from 1909 to 1956 by the Schonthal family.
It began with fewer than thirty employees in a 7,200 square-foot
building on a three-acre site on the Ohio River at Seventeenth
Street. The plant was then owned by H.K. Porter from 1956
In August, 1982,
local private investors purchased the property which has
expanded to forty-two acres between Fourteenth and Twentieth
streets and currently employs approximately 550 local steel-making
craftspeople. On December 16, 1998 Roanoke Electric Steel
Corporation purchased Steel of West Virginia. Steel of West
Virginia operated as a wholly owned subsidiary of Roanoke
Electric Steel Corporation until April 12, 2006 when Steel
Dynamics, Inc. purchased Roanoke Steel and its subsidiaries.
Steel of West Virginia is now a wholly owned subsidiary
of Steel Dynamics. Steel of West Virginia's industrial and
office buildings incorporate over 500,000 square feet and
contain state of the art steel-making and finishing equipment
to meet customer's specifications.
of West Virginia custom finishes component parts for just-in-time
delivery into customer's assembly operations. This is accomplished
at the ever-evolving steel manufacturing and fabrication
facility in Huntington and a second fabrication facility
in Memphis, TN. By anticipating customer's future needs,
Steel of West Virginia intends to remain a significant influence
in the steel industry and in the community.